As the clocked turned midnight at the start of the year, I was injured (again) but with one main goal and a ‘would like to have’ goal. The main goal was to complete the Outlaw Half in a decent time plus at some point get 1:40 in a half marathon (current PB was 1:45). As it turned out – I achieved both and a whole lot more. I wont bore you with the details – the rest of the blog is full of it, but in summary:
- Duston pool triathlon – age group win (April)
- MK Half Marathon – PB 1:42 (May)
- Outlaw Half 5:42 – earning me a European Middle Distance Triathlon Champs place (June)
- Dambuster – Qualified for World AG Triathlon Champs (and subsequently European AG Champs)
- MK 10km – PB 45:02 (July)
- MK Triathlon – age group win (July)
- Parkrun – PB 21:03
- ITU World Triathlon Champs in Edmonton Canada – 41st place (August)
- Northampton Half Marathon – 3rd in County AG Champs (September)
- ETU Middle Distance Champs in Paguera, Mallorca – 19th place (October)
- MK Winter Half – pb 1:39 (December)
I knew deep down with the right training and some luck with injuries there was some good stuff in there but I just needed to get to it! But with support from my family and friends and some fantastic help from GreenlightPT, I achieved things beyond anything I could have predicted at the start of the year. My swimming has gone from strength to strength, my cycling is getting there and my running has hit numbers I never thought possible. Running with Redway Runners is always good fun and there’s always someone to run with and the GreenlightPT squad are a great crew – swimming on a Wednesday has been such good fun, even when we’re a mess by the end of it.
My proudest moment was the parade from the athletes tent in Edmonton to the lake for the start of the ITU World AG Champs – we were led by pipers and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have a lump in my throat.
So, what about 2015? Well I hope for more of the same – I’m giving GB AG qualifying a bash with the hope of a slot for Chicago and also getting that sub 5:30 for a half ironman. I’m actually (for the first time in about 5 years) hitting New year uninjured and raring to go. I’m working with Adam at GreenlightPT again and hope to outdo this year – it’ll be a tough call but I’m ready…are you?